Sunday, February 8, 2009

Birth Story

February 2nd:

Alarm went off at 6:00 so I could get up and get ready. Called the Charge Nurse at the hospital first thing to make sure it wasn't busy, she said to come on in.
Michael dropped me off at the front door at 7:05 told me to go get checked in.
I went upstairs and filled out a few papers and waited for the nurse.
The nurse came out to the waiting room and called my name. Being the overly judgmental people we are, we both kind of sighed thinking, by the looks of our nurse it was going to be a long day.
Went in got my IV hooked up and fluid pumping.
Realized that I shouldn't judge people by their looks, my nurse was AMAZING.
I started getting some anxiety and felt really nauseous.
At 7:35 Dr. Hodges came in, told the nurse to give me some Zofran, and broke my water. I was at 1.5 to 2 cms dilated.
7:45 the nurse started my pitocin drip.
8:00 sent Michael to the gas station to get me some candy to suck on.
While he was gone the nurse offered to give me (TMI ALERT) an enema. She told me the biggest reason women get one is so that they don't have to worry about it the next day while recovering. I opted to get one. Woooow, feels not so wonderful. But it definitely worked :).
8:30 started feeling good contractions 2 minutes apart.
9:00 decided to start pumping me with more fluid and call the epidural man.
9:15, after squeezing the crap out of the nurses arm, the epidural is in place. Maybe I can nap now. Still only at 3 cms dilated. Getting prepared for a long day.
10:00 starting to feel sick again, threw up whatever was in my stomach
11:00 I tried to nap, wasn't happening. Just laid there and rested. Since only Michael and I were there, it was nice and quiet, which was PERFECT.
12:00 I'm starving and want some ice chips or something, nurse suggests a popsicle. Not 5 minutes after I finish is, it comes right back up. Nurse checks me again, at a 4. Gives me some oxygen for the nausea.
12:35 Mom makes it there.
12:45 Nurse says, "I keep hoping I'm gonna check you and you'll be at a 7". I say, "You and me both". She checks... "You ARE at a 7!".
She scrambles around to finish getting things ready.
12:50 checks me again, 9 and crowning. Pages Dr. 911
Once the dr. got there (out of breath from running) he told me I could start pushing. First contraction comes and I push, her head is out with her hand by her face, so he tells me to stop pushing. I guess he was trying to push her elbow around in a way so I wont tear as bad. I ask if I can push again, he tells me no. Then tells me to give 1 LITTLE push. So I do. 1 more little push, and out she comes.
She was born at 1:08. Her face was very bruised from coming out so fast and having her hand up against her face.Hanging out while the dr. stiches me up, 3 total.
She looks like she has her daddys asain looking eyes in this picture.

18 comments:

Ainsley said...

congrats! glad everything went quickly AND i love the name Brooklyn.

Team Cody said...

WOw...your belly was HUGE! You looked awesome though. All stinkin baby! She is beautiful. I'm happy for you. Hope my next one goes that well...you rock!

Kami Satterlee said...

I love it, your story is just so chill! SO Since I don't have your number or email address I was hoping you would check your blog and remember that our girls morning is at my house today!! At 11:00 come on over bring the kiddos and the new little one. call me if you don't know where to go! 949-3401

Lyndsay said...

Way to go, Sabrina! She's beautiful! James (my 3rd) did that hand by the head thing, but it was earlier on, so I just quit dilating at a 6. Nearly had a c-section, but thankfully the doctor got his hand moved. You did awesome!!

Kristy Martin said...

You look SO good there! How did you stay so skinny being prego?!? I can't wait to come visit soon....she's a cutie.

Anonymous said...

Good job Brie ! It was fun to read this. I cant believe they gave you an epidural at 3... I didnt get it until a lot later. Congrats ! She's beautiful !

Amy said...

What a great day! You look amazing too... Not so much in the oxygen pic, but the other ones!! I love the pic of you smiling while the doc is stiching you up, you look so happy. I was like, "ouch, I can feel that!" Brooklyn is so cute, I cannot wait to meet her!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen & Kendra said...

Just noticed you updated. Fun story. Good to see you today. I can't wait until you heal more so we can hang out more. Miss you.

Nancy said...

You look great for having just had a baby! Tell Dr. Hodges "hi" for me.

D'Neill said...

Love the birth story - congrats on the baby! I'll be over soon to see her!

Genny said...

That's the kind of story I like to hear while I'm waiting to go into labor! Sounds like everything was about as good as it can be! Congrats to you guys again!

Christina said...

Wow!! What a great birth story! She is so dang cute! Congrats again on little Brooklyn Jade!!!

the peine's said...

Congrats Brie! You make giving birth sound so easy! You look great & Brooklyn is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your beautiful new daughter. Great name by the way. She'll fit right in with her two big sisters.-tina

Kelli said...

that's a nice little labor, glad all went well! congrats on a healthy little girl, she's darling!

Brad and Jamee said...

I am utterly surprised. I must say that I have seen some retched pictures of mommies after birth and you my lady looked wonderful... this comment started off a little questionable didn’t it??? Congratulations a tad bit late!

Shepard Clan said...

Loved the recap! She is beautiful! xoxoxoxo Ita