Tuesday, December 4, 2007

To nurse or not to nurse...

That is the question.

So here's the deal, Aubrie is going to be 9 months on Thursday. Which is precisely what my goal was when it came to nursing her. I nursed Hailey until she was 9 months (and found out I was pregnant) so I wanted to at least make it that far. And now that I have, I am trying to decide whether or not to continue.

I have pretty strong opinions when it comes to nursing. For the most part, I am a very easy going person and accepting to anything and everything. But when it comes to breastfeeding your child, I think it is the best thing a Mom can do for them. Whether it be for a year, or even for a month. I think every mom should try. Yes this is a very debatable subject, and touchy for some, so I'll try to keep my opinions and thoughts as kindly as I can. Let me first say this, I respect any choice a person makes. I don't know their situation, and I would NEVER think less of a Mother for choosing formula. But I do think that they should at first give it a try. Like take for example my sister Heidi (I hope you don't mind heids). She tried and tried to nurse Zadi. She even tried pumping. But Zadi wasn't gaining any weight. So she then turned to formula. She had no other choice, Zadi needed to grow and it was the best for their situation. I guess Heidi is just too skinny and produces skim milk (wink wink). But I have so much respect for her for being so selfless and trying so hard to nurse Zadi.


Anyway, here are some of the reasons I choose to breastfeed.

It is the most complete and perfect (hello its God made, what can go wrong there) nutrition for your child to have. Also said to be easier to digest.

Breastfed babies generally have lower rates of ear infections, illnesses, rashes and allergies. Although I don't think that one is working out too well for me, lol, my girls have had it ALL. Eczema, Chicken Pox, Rotovirus, RSV, and NUMEROUS ear infections.

The ease of nursing. I don't have to clean bottles. I don't have to prepare bottles at 2 am. I don't have to worry about packing bottles, formula, water, etc, whenever we got out.

Breastfeeding lowers the risk of SIDS. Although there's no conclusive evidence of this per se. Some studies have found a link between lowered rates of SIDS while others have not. What's clear is that breastfeeding can help prevent respiratory and gastrointestinal infections that may be related to SIDS.

Helps protect me against ovarian and breast cancer.

And one of the most important reasons (for me at least) it's FREE. The cost of basic formula for the 1st year of a babies life costs around 1,500 dollars. And when you don't make very much money, that's a big amount! Heck, I just us lots of money, maybe I deserve to go buy something nice :).

Anyway, I should get off my soapbox. But for the record, I hate nursing. Lol. It makes my PPD worse, and I just don't enjoy it like some mothers do. I don't feel like I'm bonding with Aubrie as I nurse. And I am not one of those women who say it's so "beautiful" to nurse their child. Lol, it's kind of ugly actually, and my saggy boobs would probably agree! But for my baby I'll sacrifice.

So... back to the original question, to nurse of not to nurse. I guess I'll just play it day by day. She's really only nursing 4 times a day, MAYBE 5. So it's not very time consuming. But I kind of want my body back :). I've got 2o lbs that need to LEAVE! They are no longer welcome. Well, I'll nurse tomorrow... and if I wake up the next day and feel like nursing, I'll do it again, until I just don't feel like it anymore... we shall see, time will tell.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

I like your comments. I'm still nursing Jaron but I'm almost done! Yahoo! He only nurses 2 or 3 times a day now and it's pretty much just for comfort. He's done on his first birthday... or let me re-phrase, I'm done. (1 more month!) He probably should have been given some formula, he weighs a wopping 16 lbs. on a good day. But he's cute as can be! Good luck with your decision. I support you which ever way you go.

Anonymous said...

Very informative, I didnt know half of that stuff. LOL. I wish you luck Brie ! ;)

Alisa said...

i don't have any advice for you but i want my body back too. months is a good amount of time. That's my goal for Parker.

Manda said...

You are my hero! :) I want to breastfeed this next baby so bad, and if I did it for 9 months I'd be thrilled! Anyway good luck deciding!

Morgan Hagey said...

Way to go! You can do it! 3 more months of "freebies!" Then they start the whole milk... :)

Mel Z La Downs said...

Your boobs are already shot to hell, so you might as well keep nursing away. I like having aerolas the size of fisbees. And it's pretty fun running up the stairs and holding my boobs because the flap around way to much. Oh and it's a good excuse to get out of boring things i.e. church... Oh sorry she's hungry gotta go nurse.

Mel Z La Downs said...

I meant frisbees and they. I am a freaking idiot.

dawn224 said...

askmoxie.org has awesome stuff and lots of comments from people who share their experiences (in a totally sane way). Her comments are busted right now (she just swapped sites) but check her - it's good stuff.

generally speaking, I think you'll find a consensus that would have the idea of cut out the sessions that bug you most and go from there.