Sunday, October 26, 2008

I need a break

from being a mom.

This week has been quite a trying one. Aubrie has been on this be a complete brat kick. No joke. She is generally a very happy girl and quite compliant. She sleeps great, wakes up cheerful, eats breakfast happy, watches a few shows, plays, takes a nap with no complaints and basically throws maybe 1 fit a day. Night time rolls around, she gives us all kisses, sings a song and goes down without a fuss.

Well this week, that is definitely not the case. While she has been sleeping ok, she has NOT been happy at any other point in the day. Everything turns into a full blown, throw herself on the ground, kick and screaming fit.

Example 1: Mom leaving to the gas station
The gas station is 2 minutes away. She knew where I was going, and knew I'd be right back. Dad put a show on for her and I tried to slip out the door. She cried the entire 15 minutes I was gone. It took her another 15 minutes after I got home to calm down.

Example 2: Target
I had a few returns to make the other day. Quick easy trip. I wasn't even planning on walking around at all. So I didn't put the girls in a cart, it was just customer service, and I thought it would be quick and painless. Wrong. The girl wanted me to go get another one of the curling iron that I was returning. Fine, whatever. So I get a cart and try to put the girls in it. Hailey went in the back fine, Aubrie... oh dear. You'd think I was trying to amputate her leg. She screamed the whole way to the cosmetics and back. I ended up having to hold her so she didn't throw herself out of the cart. Imagine that, 6 months pregnant, pushing a cart, holding a screaming 19 month old while she's flailing all around. People probably thought I was a HORRIBLE mother. I couldn't care less.

Example 3: The carseat
Now, she's never LOVED riding in the car, but shes also never thrown a fit getting into the car. On 4 different occasions this week (every time I put her in the car this week) she threw a HUGE tantrum. Arching her back so that you can't get her straps on. I basically had to sit on her to strap her in. And then she proceeds to slide the clip part down (screaming all the while) and try and get her arms out. So I raise it back up and tighten it even more, which of course doesn't help the screaming and kicking.

Example 4: Dinnertime
If you know my girls at all, you know that they LOVE to eat. Well Aubrie has basically taken an eating hiatus. I put her in her high chair for dinner, she eats 2 bites and wants down. But that's not it, she then wants up on my lap and to eat my food. If I try and give her a bite of the SAME EXACT food off of her plate, she'll throw the fork. But will eat mine if offered to her. At lunch, she'll throw her plate on the ground and not eat anything. Whatever kid, starve.

Example 5: Pictures
Today we tried to go take family pictures at the park. Michael's friend from work is trying to start up a photography business (who isn't?) so offered to do ours. Sure, I'm huge and pregnant, but oh well, we haven't taken family pictures since Aubs was born. We were supposed to meet her at 1:30 at the park. Well we decided our best chances at having a happy Aubrie was to skip church and put her down for an early nap. Because going straight from church to pictures would be self destruction. Well, we sinned for no reason, she was less then cooperative anyway. Would NOT smile, didn't want Michael to touch her, hold her, or even look at her. I think we took like 15 pictures total. It was pretty much pointless.

Example 6: Bedtime
Aubrie LOVES to sleep (I wonder where she got that). Since she was 3 months old, we've laid her in bed, and walked away. The most she has ever fussed would be like 2 minutes. And that was out of the norm. Well lately it's a good 30 minutes. And it's not that she isn't tired, because believe me, she is. Tonight Michael said, "You know how I can tell she's really mad in there? Because she's calling for me". But of course the second he goes in there to give her some water or something she says, "I want Mommy!". No thanks. So I sit here and listen to her whining, "waaaaaannnt doooooooowwwwwwwwwnnnnnn". But I've learned if I get her up now, and try to put her down in 15 minutes, I've just delayed the 30 minute scream session.

So, as I stated, I need a break.
Michael has worked 20 hours of overtime for the past two weeks. And he's scheduled another 20 this week too. He's come home and fallen asleep by 7 at least a quarter of those days. I can't complain, he's working his tail off. I really should call a babysitter and go out for a few hours on my own, but there are 2 problems with that, first, I have no money to pay a babysitter for those few hours (or go anywhere) and secondly, I wouldn't want to put ANYONE else through what I've been through the past week of Aubrie. UGH.

As for now, I'm gonna scrounge up some change, go to the gas station and get myself some cheesy nachos and drown my sorrows away.

It could be worse...

P.S. I have finally decided, that with no teeth showing, or swollen gums, I am just going to give in and take Aubrie to the dr. tomorrow. HOPEFULLY she has an ear infection that would explain the non-stop crankiness. I've been putting it off though because she has no fever, and just a runny nose, and who doesn't feel stupid when they take their baby in, thinking something is wrong, just for the Dr. to smile and say, it's just a little virus, it'll go away on its own. Well I'm now past feeling dumb for that, I need to know. I need ANY excuse for this behaviour. Even a little virus. Heaven help us...

7 comments:

Sondra said...

I hope everything works out better this week. :D

Lyndsay said...

Oh man, I can feel your pain! Hang in there. Start putting the kids to bed 30 minutes earlier, close the door, go turn on some loud music or show and ignore the screaming!!

Morgan Hagey said...

If I was there, I'd come babysit for you. I can handle a screaming toddler for a few minutes. Maybe Spencer and Aubrie could have a competition, who can scream the longest, loudest, etc. :)

Alisa said...

WE need to take a break together. Life here is crazy and i don't know how much longer i can handle it

Amy said...

You make me laugh. I am laughing with you, not at you. In a few years (or maybe decades) you will read this and laugh. No?.... Maybe? Okay, i'll get my turn when I have 2 kiddies. I think you should drop your kids in AZ and come visit me!! We have plenty of room for you and your huge (yeah right!) belly! Think about it. :-)

Genny said...

I'm sorry your having such a hard time. Dylan went through a faze like that, especially with the carseat and the defiance and all. I'll pray for your patience and peace. I know being pregnant just makes it all the harder.

Amy Michelle said...

Let me know anytime you need a Dr. Pepper to help you get through the day! I am there for ya! I"ll come hang out with my kids and take the attention off of the crankiness.